It’s my favorite time of year: the October Readathon is here! I love both readathons, but the October one holds a special place in my heart. My very first readathon was all the way back in October 2008, and though that was mostly spent reading books for my senior paper (so. much. Andrew. Carnegie!), it was still a blast. I’ve not missed an October readathon since (and I’ve only missed one readathon total in that time, in April 2012).
So it’s the night before the readathon, and in my usual tradition, I am posting my book stack tonight. Those of you who have followed me over the years will notice that my perennial “maybe” books, The House at Riverton and Admission, have both been removed from the possibility stack this time. I started Admission during the April readathon, but didn’t finish it and haven’t picked it up since. As for The House at Riverton, well, it will just have to wait, too. I think it needs a break from being the Susan Lucci of my readathon books.
So here are the possibilities for October 2014:
- The Infinities by John Banville
- Rooftops of Tehran by Mahbod Seraji
- Love Begins in Winter by Simon van Booy
- Open City by Teju Cole
- The Position by Meg Wolitzer
- Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
- Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
- Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead
- Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
- Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King
- The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing
- The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla by Lauren Willig
- Land of Love and Drowning by Typhanie Yanique
My expectation is that I will start with either Please Ignore Vera Dietz or The Fifth Child so that I can knock one out fairly quickly. And I plan to read the essays in Bad Feminist and the short stories in Love Begins in Winter throughout the day.
I’m also doing something new this readathon! I am an official cheerleader! Assigned to a team and everything. I’ll be meeting lots of new people on Twitter while I cheer for #TeamBronte. I think I’m set up to be cheered for here, but if you want to cheer for me on Twitter, too, I’m @shootingstarr7 there, and I will be tweeting updates in addition to hourly-ish updates here.
See you all in the morning!